Looking after ourselves and each other
Lockdowns and high-level restrictions are in place across the UK due to coronavirus (COVID-19). During this time, it’s especially important that we all pay attention to our mental health and wellbeing and the mental health of children and young people.
Covid 19 has impacted on us all in many ways. As parents/carers you may be concerned about the effect this may have on your child’s development, their physical and mental health, as well as your family’s wellbeing.
In the event of school closing again, here are some good tips:
- Establish a daily routine. Routines provide reassuring structure and purpose. Include a mix of learning, creative, physical, relaxation and ‘electronics’ time. Help your child make a visual timetable so everyone understands the plan.
- Make time for physical activity. Encourage your child outside and rediscover garden games. If you can’t get outside, suggest your child makes an indoor obstacle course. There are lots of resources available on the BBC, ITV and YouTube.
- Work on personal care skills. Identify self-care tasks that your child would like to do more independently, for example tying shoelaces or getting dressed.
- Develop life skills. Help your child learn how to prepare their lunch, use a washing machine or change their bedsheets. Older children could complete an online First Aid course or start to learn another language.
- Create a suitable study space. Ideally your child should have an appropriately sized chair and table, but if they must use adult furniture ensure they can sit with feet firmly planted and their shoulders relaxed.
If you need advice and support about a child, or if you are concerned about a child’s wellbeing, talk to us. It’s free and you don’t have to say who you are.
You can keep up to date on the most recent guidance during the coronavirus pandemic by subscribing to our CASPAR newsletter.
Our free information service is still open, helping professionals find the resources they need to keep children safe. Find out how to contact us.